St. Aloysius Orphanage / School Addition & Renovation
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Size: 80,000 SF Renovation / 18,000 SF Expansion
Community Gathering Space
Once a historic orphanage built in 1861, St. Aloysius is now a services program with an Elementary school curriculum for children with behavioral and emotional issues. Their Charter School supports children from public school systems around Hamilton County, and their families through a variety of programs, including a Med-Somatic Clinic, Nursing and Counseling, Foster Care services, and short-term respite care.
GBBN Architects has partnered with St. Aloysius Orphanage since 2004, in establishing a Master Plan and implementation for improvements to their historic building and campus in Bond Hill. GBBN’s services have included traditional Design as well as Strategic Financing - funding the project through grants and Historic and New Markets Tax Credits. We have also worked with the City and Community Council to promote a good-neighbor relationship and community engagement. Preservation of the building’s exterior character is of utmost importance, while improving classroom and administrative space, incorporating sustainable design and high-efficiency systems, and leveraging the visibility of the building and its prominent site. The design takes best advantage of existing spaces, develops new spaces to serve community needs, and integrates a sensitive addition of dedicated classroom and program space most appropriate for the learning environment.