A New Dawn for Downtown
1010 on the Rhine, Residential & Grocery
To Project Types
Cincinnati, OH | 520,000 SF
As the population of Cincinnati’s urban core has grown, people who live and work downtown have long clamored for a full-service grocery store. Now they have it, in an 18-story building that combines a Kroger market and café, luxury apartments, and parking
This transit-oriented development at the midpoint of the city’s streetcar route transformed a surface parking lot into a link that connects Cincinnati’s Over-the-Rhine and Fountain Square districts—two lively but separate live/work/play zones.
This is a sign that the renaissance of Downtown and OTR is here to stay and is accelerating.
Large windows engage the street on three sides, providing views in and out; whether people work, shop, dine, or drink here, daylight is part of the experience. The entire project reinterprets an historic neighborhood in a contemporary manner and has ignited new activity around Cincinnati’s central business district.
Outdoor terraces at Kroger’s second floor café give shoppers the option of street views while dining; private terraces engage residents with Central Parkway’s grand presence. The building is also capped with a rooftop terrace overlooking the city center. Corner entries provide transparency and give customers dual access points.
- Views in and out of the Kroger on the first floor invite the community inside.
- 1010 is integrated into the surrounding context by scale through pattern and massing.
- The two-floor grocery is the first in the downtown area in 50 years.
- 1010 is a destination that allows for 360 views of the urban environment
- 1010 is located along a major transit system that allows the larger surrounding community access.